School: I'm so incredibly grateful that I have the chance to be going to school. Everyone asks how I do it with a new baby...well (I'm a little embarrased to admit it but) I only take one or two classes at a time, I don't work outside the home, I have an incredibly wonderful husband who beleives in sharing childcare responsibilities, and I've been blessed with several sources of financial aide. I wouldn't say that I'm incredibly overloaded or anything! ;) All of this combined with the fact that a Masters in Education is about ten times easier than my undergrad was. I get to read children's books, talk about children's books, and in my spare time write children's books. That doesn't sound like work to me! ;)
The other day I had an experiance that put it all in perspective for me. I love school and I love to teach but in all honesty I hope that I don't have to ever use my degree in a professional sense while my children are at home. Well I get asked ALL THE TIME what grade I want to teach when I graduate and usually, to avoid the looks and further questions, I just say I'm not sure or that maybe I would like to teach on a college level someday. Well about a week ago a woman I sit across from in class asked me that question and as I was getting ready to share my usual answer I had a little prick in my heart that said, "Tell her the truth." So, I did. I said, "Actually I don't plan on ever teaching in a school setting while my children are at home. The reason I'm getting this degree is because I love learning and I think it will help me be a better mom."
You can imagine the look I got. But despite what she thought it really felt good to say that out loud. I love being a mom and we know that parents have the most influance over thier children's growth and development. That's a sobering thought. But if that's the case then I want to be the best at that job as I possibly can be.
8 years ago

4 comments:
Amen!
I totally agree. Sometimes I think about all the time and hours upon hours I spent doing homework for school or grading exams. Sometimes I think about saying goodbye to all of it. I put in a lot of time to learn and do these things. But other things are more important and for a lot of people bring more joy. So: I will be happy to give up my "day job" for my "24 hour job" at a point in the near future.
You are doing just enough school-wise! And you are the smartest girl in our class :) We all depend on you!! So glad I found your blog!! What a cute family y'all are.
A-Men! :) I am getting my teaching certificate and I student teach in the Spring and I feel the same way!
Post a Comment