I could also have titled this post, "How I got stuck at the Chiropractors office for two hours yesterday". Oliver has been teething again, I think this maybe the worst experience in my life thus far. (I know, I know, there are many more gruesome and challenging things yet to come. For now just nod your head and sympathize with me if you will. I'm far to sleep deprived to find humor in the horror stories of how much more difficult parenting can be.) Anyway...Oliver has been teething lately which has been really affecting his sleep. Since he sleeps with us (being as this post is about my adventures at the Chiropractor and not about co-sleeping, you can go here and here if you have concerns about why we choose to sleep this way.) Okay, once again, I digress. So, this teething thing has really been affecting our sleep too. (By "our" I mean "mine", I try to keep Oliver on my side of the bed because Ty has to wake up so early for school). Well a couple nights ago I woke up in the morning feeling like I had wrestled an alligator all night long. I'm pretty sure Oliver did a little tap dance on my spine while I dozed off because I could barely move. My neck had that weird pinched nerve sensation where I couldn't turn my head all the way to one side. I hate that! So I called the Chiropractor today and they said they had one appointment between now and Monday. I took it. The appointment went well. (How I miss my Chiropractic father, uncle, grandfather, and cousin. It's like back pain security to the tenth degree.) Afterward Oliver and I got in the car to leave. It was close to Oliver's nap time so I decided to feed him before we left so he would fall asleep in the car and thus have a better chance of actually napping. I fed him but before he finished he passed out in my arms. He rarely does that sleep induced milk comma thing anymore and it was so cute. See: Being as our apartment complex parking lot is under construction we are temporarily parking across the complex and having to walk through noisy construction equipment, a playground, and lawn crews to get to our apartment. I figured that we may get home still sleeping but the odds of getting inside our apartment that way were not good so I snuggled my little cutie up next to me and turned on my car just enough so that the radio would work. I popped in the new book on tape I had just picked up from the library (Mitch Albom's For One More Day). In true Albom style I was lost in his words five minutes into the story. Before I knew it I had been sitting there for 45 minutes. I would have listened for much much longer except...well...the CD stopped when my battery died. Oh darn. I called Ty and he came to rescue me, bless his cute little soul, but I had been sitting there for over two hours by the time it was done. I realized around 4 o'clock that the last time I had eaten was early that morning and it had only been two smallish sized crepes with peanut butter and blackberry jelly on top. They were "O So" delicious but not so filling. At this point I was wishing I would have eaten something a little heartier or had taken the time to put a few snacks in the diaper bag. Oliver woke up and was "eating" my keys and cell phone which didn't look so bad to me at that moment either. It was pretty warm so with the last bit of juice left in my battery I eeked out enough energy to put the windows down. Oliver then found great enjoyment in sticking his head out the window to watch every car that drove by. The wind was blowing his hair and he reminded me of a little puppy dog, tongue flapping in the wind. My back feels a bit better now although I'm still feeling a little grumpiness from the whole ordeal. Double darn. At first I blamed it on myself for leaving the car on and not packing snacks. Then I blamed it on Oliver because...well...he can't talk. ;) But finally I settled on blaming our apartment complex for having the gall of refinishing our parking lot and thus hindering the sacred nap time. Blaming always makes me feel better too. ;)
You are so funny and i LOVED the story. Good Stuff. Yes, you should always keep food with you especially since breast feeding you become a ravishing beast when you are hungry...am I right? Well, great story non the less. Keep 'em coming
2 comments:
Oh dear, sounds like you have adventures similar to the ones we have at our house. I've started keeping granola bars in the van.
You are so funny and i LOVED the story. Good Stuff. Yes, you should always keep food with you especially since breast feeding you become a ravishing beast when you are hungry...am I right? Well, great story non the less. Keep 'em coming
Post a Comment