
But I've joined a new book group that reads children's and young adult literature and this is the selection for April so I thought I'd give it a try. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised and pleased with the novel overall and would definitely recommend it to others to read. Be forewarned, it is a trilogy and the 2nd book in the series doesn't come out until October. I have a love hate relationship with series books. A well written series book can be the most beautiful thing in the world. Honestly, one of my favorite past times is getting totally and unashamedly lost in a fantastic series (I.e. Shannon Hale's Goose Girl Series or Robin Mckinly's The Hero and the Crown Series.)
But at the same time, I think it is pure agony of the worst kind to wait for the next book to come out all the while you know the details from the previous books read are slipping from your mind causing you to ask yourself that ever painful question of, "Do I take the time away from other books I could be reading to go back and re-read the books in the series that I've already read, before the next one in the series comes out."I am currently waiting on the (hopefully) last book in the Eragon Series (Release date unknown but probably this year), the second book in the Maze Runner Trilogy (release date October 2010) and the fourth book in the Goose Girl series called Forest Born (already released but currently on a wait list at my library).
I know, I know, I need to get a life if I'm tracking the release dates. Don't worry I'm not going to dress up like a dragon for the midnight release or anything freaky like that! (Sorry Stepheni Meyer, I can't help myself but to take a jab at your all to adoring, yet oddly creepy fan base.)Anyway...the Maze Runner...we're talking about the Maze Runner...it's a great book. If you've read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card you will feel something oddly familiar about this text in it's child prodigy, save the world from catastrophe, and exploring ethical and moral issues of child exploitation sort of way.
It's fascinating though in it's own right. I'm also interested to know if author, James Dashner, is a member of the LDS church. He lives in Utah, says his favorite author is Orson Scott Card (also LDS) and uses the phrase "Holy Crap" more than once in his book. The last one was the dead give away for me! Really, I know I sound freakishly obsessed. I promise I'm not. Doing a quick google search gave me more than enough details on this man whom I had never heard of a few days ago. He also has a blog and a website of his own. PLUS...come on people, this is what I do. I'm getting my degree in Language Literacy, I should know my books, right?!?So if all of this rambling has not wet your whistle enough to try out your likings for this new science fiction, young adult novel I will leave you with one more piece of information to try and pull you in. I listened to, rather than read, this book on audio CD (something I would HIGHLY recommend to anyone who has not tired it yet. It's a fabulous way to "read".) And several chapters in, Tyler was so hooked that it took all the will power he had to not go on and finish the book while I was putting the baby down to sleep. We listened to most of the book together and have been talking about it for the past few days.
Super fun book, time with my best friend, what more can a girl ask for?

3 comments:
I found your blog off of Kaylyn's. I'm not on the waiting list for Forset Born -can I borrow it when you are done? I too love to get lost in books!
I will have to look into those books for sure because I LOVED Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow and MOST of the books in both of those series. I think I read 7 or 8 of them in one summer. lol. Good times.
The boys have found out the hardship of starting a book series that isn't finished yet, especially when the book ends in a "bad" place.
Post a Comment