I’ve been doing a lot of research and personal reading lately on miscarriage. If everything had gone as planned I would be entering into my last two months of pregnancy right now. After we lost “little baby” I grieved deep but not long. Soon I found myself needing to get back to work and finish up the year and pack and move my classroom to the new school. Then I was packing and moving my own house for our move to Lubbock. Then we were in New York for Schaun’s wedding and back home again for a brief moment before we made the move down here. All through that I grieved when I could find a moment, or was touched by a memory or reminder of my pain, but everything was very distracting. I felt lonely, sad, misunderstood, brushed off… all the emotions that are common to this sort of silent grief but now, here in Lubbock, I feel it ten times more.
We’ve been welcomed and supported as the “new move ins” in more ways than we can imagine. But what I need so desperately is to be supported as the “grieving mother”. This however is a sorrow no one knows about now because it happened in a different state and a different time than these people new me in. Before I came here every new news of a pregnant friend or every event associated with motherhood, and I had a support network of family, friends, and colleagues who, although they may not have known what I was exactly going through or how to help, they knew about it and tried to hold me up where and when they could. Here I’m the new neighbor, who “doesn’t have any children yet”. How it hurts to hear that and know it's not true.
I’ve tried to share what we are going though with everyone I can, when it has been appropriate to do so, but some things are so deep and sacred that it takes more than a first time meeting to be able to talk about it in any kind of depth.
It’s not enough that we don’t have a baby to hold but then to have everyone that remembered that we were parents gone from us so that it’s as if it never really happened. Some days lately, it just seems like to much. For a long time, I thought that the worst part was dealing with people who said things that were hurtful and insensitive when they knew what I was going through. I was wrong. It’s worse to not have anything said at all because no one knows. At least when people said stupid things it opened up the issue so that I could talk about it. Now I just think about it and cry a lot and I know that all the people all around me are unaware that I feel like breaking down every time I see them with their children or hear them talk about their pregnancy. They say things to us like, “You’ll understand when you have kids”, and I think guiltily, “you’ll understand when you loose one”.
Maybe this is to personal to post but I guess I just need to know that there are people out there who know.
8 years ago

7 comments:
Ok I'm bawling now. I wish I could help your pain. I can imagine what it would feel like, but I guess I really have no idea personally. I guess I can only do the one thing that can really help and that is turn to the one who has complete empathy for all of us. The one who suffered for all our pains, and ask Him to help you.
Chelsea,
I'm so sorry for the pain that you are Tyler are facing as you cope with miscarriage. Bruce and I went through the sad experience when we were living in Virginia. Hopefully you'll soon find some new friends in your ward and you can become a support for one another. Will you be attending a student ward? We had about 3 couples in our Virginia Ward that were all going through similar things and we relied on each other for support as we faced the challenges. I also got involved in doing some volunteer work which kept me really busy along with my job so I didn't have a lot of time to dwell on it. Check in with a doctor soon to make sure your hormone levels are where they're supposed to be.
Chelsea,
I love you and I am so sorry....it's so hard to move far away, I know. I don't know your pain but I know it's hard to be away from those that love you. Please call me if you want to talk at anytime, I am hear for you.
Melissa
Chelsea,
I will be praying for you and know the Savior understands you perfectly and completly. Someday maybe we will find out all the reasons why things happen the way they do in our lives, but for now I know that there is a way to find comfort and peace in our difficult life situations. That is through prayer and help a loving Father in Heaven can give and healing that can come through the atonement. I love the scriptures in Ether 12 on faith; they have been a comfort to me in times of trial in my life. I hope and pray time will heal the wounds of your heart and know also that burdens are not always lifted but can be made easier to bear. I will be praying for you! Emily
Chels, we love you and we are hoping and praying that you get what you want and need in your life!! We miss you and i'm so sorry for the pain you have to go through right now!! "This to shall pass" there is only better things to come your way!!
Dear friend,
You feel so grieved because of miscarriage and all the other hardships in your life - I am so sorry for that! When I read your letter a quote came in to my mind from Joseph Smith. When I feel that it is unfair that little children leave this life so early then it comforts me to think of that quote.
Joseph Smith’s Thoughts on the Death of Little Children
“In my leisure moments I have meditated upon the subject, and asked the question, why it is that infants, innocent children, are taken away from us, especially those that seem to be the most intelligent and interesting. . . . The Lord takes many away even in infancy, that they may escape the envy of man, and the sorrows and evils of this present world; they were too pure, too lovely, to live on earth; therefore, if rightly considered, instead of mourning we have reason to rejoice as they are delivered from evil, and we shall soon have them again. . . . All children are redeemed by the blood of Jesus Christ, and the moment that children leave this world, they are taken to the bosom of Abraham. The only difference between the old and young dying is, one lives longer in heaven and eternal light and glory than the other, and is freed a little sooner from this miserable wicked world.”
Joseph Smith, Teachings, p. 196-197
I know this is a couple of posts down but I hope you get this. I had a miscarriage my first time and I wanted to talk to you about it when you had yours, but I never found an appropriate time. But when I had my miscarriage I was pregnant with all of Kurt's cousins, so when I lost mine I had to watch all 3 of them get bigger and happier and is made me cry all the time. I was so hard!! I couldn't believe I was so sad about a baby I never even met. But then I learned that my mom had a miscarriage her first time and so did my sister in law and then later after Brennen, Marie had a miscarriage and it was just nice to know that people understood how I felt. So I guess I just wanted to let you know Chelsea I understand how you feel, and it's no place I would want anyone to be. But people gave me lots awesome words of encouragement and if you want to hear any of it I will send you the list!! It does get better and I know that doesn't help now but you will have children and they will be beautiful and this part of your life won't seem so bad anymore.
Post a Comment