Monday, January 18, 2010

Diapers Diapers Everywhere!!!

Tyler and I are incredibly frugal! We care about the environment, are conscious of the health benefits and like to do our part...but before I get any further, lest there be any confusion, I just want to make it clear that our first motivation in deciding to make and use cloth diapers was purely financial.
I wish I could hear all of your responses right now (Oh wait...maybe I don't... ;)
"EWWWW...cloth diapers...do you have to touch the poop?"
This was my first thought too. Followed by visions of yucky plastic diaper covers that sweat in the summer and get all yellowy and gross, safety pin injuries in the middle of night changings, and a lot of extra laundry for me for very little savings. But I found that as with most first impressions, I was terribly wrong.
See example #1: (Velcro tabs for ease and comfort! ;)
And example #2 (The outer colored layer is waterproof the inner layers are absorbent flannel)
I am the first to admit that I am not what you would call "crafty" by any means, but YES, I made those!!! (interject ohhhs and ahhhs here). Of course I couldn't have done this without the help of my wonderful friend Kate, who by the way, is one of the best moms I've ever seen. I totally want to be like her when I grow up and not just because of the diapers! ;) I'm super pleased with how cute these turned out, how easy they were to make and how much money they are going to save us (for $ saving estimates and information on cloth diapering go here.)
Finally, example #3:
Conclusion: Cloth Diapers make Happy Babies! ;)
Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go sew 22 more of them...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am very impressed with the final project. I can't wait to see how they work out for. You are amazing. Oliver is very lucky to have you as him mom.

Megan said...

Way to go! I am very impressed. I have been thinking about cloth diapers since Anna was little. I had been looking into the 'G' diapers or something similar. But they cost so much up front. Grrr. but this option looks good. You will have to make a post with the pros and cons and what not. I am seriously considering it.... if I can get my mom to make them for me ;)

10zfam said...

what a great idea, i, like megan, would need someone else to make them for me though

Nichole said...

Super impressed. Look at you! Oliver looks like the sweetest and happiest little boy ever. What a joy.

Marie Rose said...

um totally tried the diaper thing...I did g-diapers which were a hybrid cloth/disposable diaper. Let's just say after 3 months I ran to costco and got me some disposable diapers....so good luck my friend.