Wednesday, January 13, 2010

15 Minute Theory

Lately I've been coming up with all sorts of thoughts for good blog articles. Several times a day things happen that make me think, "Wow, that would make a good blog post!" But then I try and sit down to write about it and low and behold something else comes up that is more important. As a result, I have about 20 unfinished posts saved on my computer and about a bajillion more saved in my head.
This theme of not having time to do the things I want to do seems to be ever prevalent in all the different areas of my life. I know, I know..."welcome to motherhood" you say. I realize that, and 99.9% of the time I am more than happy to forgo the things I want to do in the moment to take care of the more pressing needs of the moment. But the 1.1 % of the time...I just get incredibly frustrated that I don't have the time to do what I want to do. So, I developed a theory. I call it my "15 minute theory" and it is this:
All I can expect at any given time during the day is 15 minutes to myself. If Oliver is awake, after 15 minutes light moaning has turned into intense moaning and then turned into crying and screaming for my attention. If he is asleep, after 15 minutes nap time may be over for the time being. So I've decided that everything I want to do must be able to be done in 15 minute increments. If I can boil a task down to 15 minutes then I can get what I want to done, feel productive, fulfilled, and all around more like a human being.
Shower and get ready in the morning...15 minutes
Cook a meal and eat...15 minutes
Gospel study...15 minutes
Write a blog post...15 minutes
GENIUS!!!!
Now, logical and deductive reasoning leads me to think that with each child you add to the equation the number of minutes you have at any given moment will decease. With the next child maybe this will become the "10 minute theory". Three children..."the 5 minute theory". Four children...?
Hmmmmm....well we'll cross that bridge when we come to it! For now, bring on my 15 minutes...I've got some diapers to make! (More on this to come.)

Oh...and here are some random pictures of Christmas fun.
Snuggle Time With Dad
Cousin
My Sister's White Elephant Gift That Ty Was Lucky Enough To Get (The bag also contained a patriotic wall hanging and the Communist Manifesto ;)
Teething...We Think...
"TUB TIME"Cuteness

3 comments:

Megan said...

Have you ever heard of The Fly lady? She is all about doing things in 15 minute increments. Totally works. Good luck to you. Balance is key in life, yet it seems so hard to accomplish sometimes. I am there wit you. I want to hear more about these diapers too.

Nicholle said...

Hmm like the 15 minute theory, but I'm at the four kid mark...phooey!

Melissa Post said...

Love the theory!!! It's a great way to feel like yourself when you are being pulled in so many directions!