Friday, October 9, 2009

Super Yummy and Easy Veggitarian Tacos

So, this recipe probably sounds a bit odd but trust me, it is FANTASTIC!!! I am eating the leftovers as I type this and it's just as good the second time around. This took about 30 minutes to make which is good for us because by the time we get the baby down and get around to thinking about dinner it's often 9pm or later. We ate this with chips, cheese, and some fresh tomatoes but it would be good with any taco fixins. And the best part about this recipe...IT"S SUPER CHEAP!!!! Healthy, fast, and cheap...what more could a girl ask for? I am now a lentil fanatic...if anyone else has a good recipe using lentils please let me know.

1 t. oil
1 onion, small dice
garlic, however much you like (I put 4 cloves in, the recipe calls for 1)
1 T. chili powder
2 t. cumin
1 t. oregano
1 cup lentils
2 cups chix broth
1 cup salsa

crunchy taco shells

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Saute onion over medium heat 1-2 minutes until onion is translucent. Add garlic, saute 1 minute. Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, lentils and cook 1-2 minutes. Add chicken broth, cover the pan and simmer on medium until water is gone (20minutes - watch it close). Stir in salsa and serve in taco shells!

4 comments:

Megan said...

Yummy! I love veggie tacos and lentils. Ross says he cooked with them all the time when he was in Mexico, but he has yet to cook with them when I am around. If he does, I will for sure pass on the recipe. Thanks for sharing yours - I will definitely be trying it!

The Ashdowns said...

How do you think it will taste if I substitute the lentils for chicken? :):) This recipe sounds really good, but we like meat in our tacos haha.

The Wilson Family said...

ok so I just caught up on your blog and I just want to squeeze Oliver's chubby cheeks!! Holy cow how cute is he?! And Dean told us today that Oliver is probably as big as Ever!! LOL That must be good stuff you're feeding him!!

Melissa Post said...

I've got tons of lentils and nothing to do with them, so I am defiantly going to have to try this!