Monday, July 19, 2010

Oliver's Words

Oliver has always been quite the chatter box. Usually it's just a jumbled mess of gurbaly gook -- sounds and phrases that are not even humanly possible for me to imitate. Lately though he's been copying w'hat we say a lot closer. If I say a word with a strong sound in it like the "T" in "toy" or the "G" in "great" then he will repeat the sound over and over again trying it out on his lips until it feels comfortable. He's mastered a few words that we know he also has an association with. Like "da-da" for Tyler of "ma-ma" for "FEED ME" (I'm trying not to be offended that my name is only associate with food at this point). When he gets ready to eat and really wants what we have for him he clenches his little fists, shakes, and says "MMMMMMMMMM". It's pretty crazy adorable. And his favorite word (and the first word he learned BTW) is "Kuh-Kuh". That's his word for cat. When he sees Noah he gets this little falsetto, high pitched voice and says "Kuh-Kuh" and then tries to lick the cat-- often times Noah actually lets him. (They've got a sort of love hate relationship going on.) Despite the fact that my child's first word was cat and not me I think it's all cuteness.
And now today he has learned a new word...actually a phrase. Whenever he wants something I hand it to him and say "here you go". Lately his new favorite game is to hand me things and then reach out for me to hand them back. He always makes the same sound when he does this and just today I realized what that sound was. As he handed me the teething ring he had been chewing on he said, "hereyougo" in a really mashed up quick way. I died laughing it was so great!

Now we are going to begin working on some of the more important words in life, like "sleep" and...well no, "sleep" will do for now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How cute! My first words was "What?"

Marie Rose said...

so cute! Eden loves to play the hand me toy and then give it right back! game too! So cute. I have yet to meet this stinker of yours...but I think he's adorable!

Megan said...

Haha. SO cute. Evan loves the hand it back to me game too. Anna thinks he is great at sharing ;) Anna used to always make the same jumbled noises when we were getting ready to leave the house. It always sounded like 'bicycle' and I always thought that was odd. Then one day I realized it was 'Bye. Let's go!' Haha. Good times :)

Nicholle said...

Oh fun stuff he needs to come teach Malachi to say more things then "uh"