Just to clarify, I have read them (well 3.25 of them)...this is not just some rant from watching the movie or something like that. So when I got a call from one of my dear friends last night about this article on Twilight, in the Mormon Times, my fuse was lit once again. There are about a bajillion points I could make about why I think the man who wrote this article is a total moron but let me just limit it to three:
1. Where does he (a man) get off telling me (a woman) what "all women want"?
2. Does anyone else have an issue with Edward being compared to "all men" and Bella being compared to "all women"? I personally can think of millions of women I would rather have symbolize my "womanhood"...lets start with some of the "religious" one shall we. Any takers on Eve, Ester, Mary?
3. If you note the amount of times Edward's "charms" are referred to in terms of only physical attractiveness and appeal it leaves me wondering how shallow this man really thinks women are? I'm not saying I haven't enjoyed looking at a nice fit body now and again but to imply that this is the center of my desires for male companionship is slightly demoralizing and rather simplifies the the whole male female relationship, don't you think?

Okay well...for what it's worth, I'm not condemning everyone that's read and enjoyed the Twilight series. I'm just saying that just because something is written by a "member of the LDS church" doesn't mean that it then becomes doctrinal commentary on eternal principles...nor does it mean that that person has any authoritative stamp of approval on the topics they have written about. Maybe Stephanie Myers wrote something fun and sexy and romantic...isn't that enough? Buy it, read it, enjoy it...but I wish that people would stop trying to convince me that it's more than what it is...a slightly cheesy, teenage, romance novel. Edward was nice. Jacob had his charms...but this is fiction...not a "symbolic, subconscious, recreation" of the perfect relationship. Honestly, with all our bumps and bruises...I'd take Tyler over Edward any day! At least he's a real person and I don't have to worry about him "succumbing to his vampirish whims that have the potential to make me miserable and destroy my life." (Side note: What about my potential to do the same thing to him? Until I read this article I was under the assumption that generally, women were no longer viewed as the the helpless damsel in distress who needed to be protected from the big bad world of men...obviously we've still got some work to do in that area...but I'll leave that discussion for another time). ;)
Just in case any of you want another good laugh (or cry as the case may be) check out this article too!

6 comments:
I AGREE TOTALLY! I read all 4 books but to me they were just teenage romance novels. I hate the Bella thinks she only has a choice between a vampire and a werewolf, there are humans out there. Thanks for posting this, it's nice that someone else feels the same, you said it alot better than I would have too
I got your email. I have you on my list. Thanks!
Chelsea I love you! I agree....I really enjoyed reading books but it scares me that young women were reading it in sacrement meeting, where are their parents! Anyhow I love how you put things it's so passionate and it makes me miss you.
My husband and my mother have also heard my numerous rants about Twilight. I can think of about 6 billion other reasons that the hype is completely silly. You are brave to write it out though because not being a fan can lead to being shunned by a whole screaming club of just as silly adolescent girls.
I love it when you update your blog.
I love it! Anyways I totally agree it's just a fun book to read and by no way religious. I do think what my VT said to me was very funny. I might write it in an email to you my mom would shot me if I posted it on a public blog. Love ya.
I don't know how I missed this post, well said. I couldn't have said it better myself.
Post a Comment