Saturday, April 4, 2009

Neil L. Andersen


One of the things Ty and I were excited about with General Conference today was the announcement of the new Apostle, Elder Neil L. Andersen. When President Monson called his name and we realized who he was, some of my favorite talks over the past couple years that he's given came to mind, such as: You Know Enough and It's true isn't it? Then what else matters?.

I don't remember, as a child or even as a youth, being asked to sustain a new Apostle or Prophet. I suppose this is partly because I was too young to realize the significance of what was happening and partly because it seems there was a rather long period of time when almost no one passed away, but ever since my mission I have had the opportunity to see several church leaders pass on, namely Elder's Maxwell and Wirthlin and President's Faust and Hinckley. Each time they have been succeeded by men (most of which I had heard very little if anything about previous to their being called) who are good and strong examples of our Savior.

But also, along with each of their callings there has been a confirming spirit of peace and conviction that they are each called of God. The most powerful experience I have had with this was probably on my mission. Only a month or so before Elder (now President) Uchtdorf was called as an Apostle he came to my mission for a conference. He came to introduce the new "Preach My Gospel" missionary discussions and he talked to us for several hours about missionary work. I sat on the front row and more than once was moved to tears with the power and testimony that he bore. I don't think I have ever felt the spirit in such an abundance as I did that day. Just a month later as I watched conference from our small branch building in Tartu, Estonia he was called as the newest Apostle of the church and my heart almost leapt out of my chest as I remembered the power and spirit he had talked to us with. I knew that he was the Lord's choice for a mouth piece. I knew that he had been the Lord's choice as a mouth piece a month before and I sustained him whole-heartedly.

Today as Elder Andersen was called and he took his place on the stand I felt again the comfort and knowledge that he too was called of God and a love for him and the work he will do was miraculously already in my heart. A lot was talked about today concerning modern day revelation being a distinct characteristic that sets us apart from other Churches. I think it's pretty amazing how the personal revelation component of modern day revelation was able to be felt and exemplified for all members of the church today first hand, with the calling of a new Apostle.

No comments: